This project, let me tell you, has been one of the most successful that I've done with this age. I absolutely love the end result and seeing how each students artwork turns out so unique. They really enjoyed the process too and got a little messy along the way.
Students each started with a long strip of paper, probably 6" x 18". I cut up strips of poster board so they would be nice and sturdy but any paper would work fine.
They started by using a blue crayon, laying it on it's side and rubbing it all over the paper to create the sky. Some students selected dark blue while others chose light blue and some even chose more of a seafoam color.
Before they begin printing and adding the flowers, I cut up a bunch of cardboard into little squares and rectangles. I put a paint tray on each table with three different shades of green and they use the edges of the rectangles to print 'grass' all along the bottom of the paper. They also did a few tall grasses to use next time for their flower stems.
After discussing how there are tons of different types of flowers, they went to town creating their own flowers. This is where the students really had fun and their individuality began to shine. There were big flowers, little flowers, silly flowers, realistic flowers, etc.